Sri Lanka Equity Forum
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka Equity Forum would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
Sri Lanka Equity Forum

Discussion Forum for Stock Market Investors in Sri Lanka

Submit Post
සිංහල පරිවර්තනය
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» UBC KEEP WATCHING
by Ran49 Yesterday at 6:35 pm

» FUTURE GEMS.....
by Ran49 Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» Orient Finance PLC- possible future star
by DS Wijesinghe Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:29 pm

» Companies to invest long term
by EquityChamp Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:56 pm

» Sampath Bank PLC - A giant awakening
by Top Trader Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:01 pm

» The Stock Chat by EquityChamp
by glad Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:12 am

» Blue Chip Companies
by glad Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:22 am

» WHAT HAPPENED TO DIST?
by EquityChamp Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:51 pm

» JINS Share Repurchase
by EquityChamp Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 am

» LIOC N.........................
by EquityChamp Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:54 pm

» Abans finance PLC in deep trouble?
by Wimal Modawansa Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:03 pm

» Singer Finance worth to look at
by anges Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:37 pm

» Laxapana Batteries - A New Begining
by EquityChamp Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:10 am

» Kelani Tyres PLC - Invest for the future
by EquityChamp Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:59 am

» Teejay Jersey Lanka PLC - Depreciated Rupee had a very positive impact
by anges Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:36 pm

» Vallible One PLC - Financial Analysis
by anges Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:33 pm

» DFCC Bank - A very valuable counter
by EquityChamp Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:13 pm

» Ceylon Cold Stores - A valuable illiquid stock
by EquityChamp Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:11 pm

» Malwatte Valley Plantations PLC
by EquityChamp Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:00 pm

» Royal Ceramics Lanka - Diversified Tiger turned traditional manufacturing company
by EquityChamp Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Forum Disclaimer

The information contained in this forum have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein.

www.srilankaequity.com its blogs, forums, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever.

Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, www.srilankaequity.com its blogs, forums, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sri Lanka Equity Forum » Stock Market Talk » The Stock Chat by EquityChamp

The Stock Chat by EquityChamp

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Stock Chat by EquityChamp on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:37 pm

EquityChamp

I have planned to bring some good updates on different stocks under this thread. Given the current design of SLEF it is extremely difficult for me to have and maintain different threads for each stock. Anyone like to join can join for some interesting discussions.

2 Re: The Stock Chat by EquityChamp on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:00 pm

EquityChamp

JKH Update - 7th April 18

JKH is currently trading around 160. It fell down to about 145 few months ago but recovered to the current levels. 

JKH's recent quarter performances are not encouraging mainly it is facing many difficulties from its leasure sector mainly and food and beverage sector in short term due to new tax regulations.

However the foreigners are continuing to buy this stock from the market. They stands at net buyers so far this year. We need to find out why they are happy to buy at Current price levels when their financials are not so good.

Is it that they are anticipating a good turnaround in the economy in coming years so that JKH can be able to report super earnings? Or is it the optimism they have on the future operations of its Waterfront Mixed development project? Can Waterfront project do wonders for JKH from 2019 onwards? How JKH can overcome the distressed results from its leasure sector, will this sector turnaround within next 1-2 years?

Stage is set for further discussions.

3 Re: The Stock Chat by EquityChamp on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:32 am

DS Wijesinghe

Manager - Equity Analytics
I am a medium to long term investor and before I Buy any stock, even 100 shares I look at the past performance for 5 years. I will wait for their 2017/18 financials to be out to do 5 year analysis but for the moment will do a 4 year analysis from 2013/2012 to 2017/2016. 

If you consider the position of the LUCKIEST JKH INVESTOR who would have BOUGHT @ the LOWEST traded PRICE of Rs. 217/- in Jan-Mar quarter of 2013 and SOLD @ HIGHEST trade PRICE of 165/- in Jan-Mar quarter 2018(I assume 165 would have been the highest)

After you account for all the rights purchased and dividends received(I've not factored Future Present value adjustments), the compounded annual rate of return on the total investment is a disappointing 4%. You can predict the rate of return to be even lower the investor would have earned if he had bought and sold at median prices. 

JKH 4 year CAGR growth rates from 2013/12 to 2017/2016

Turnover6%
Net Profit after tax8%
EPS3%
NAVPS19%
DPS25%

Return on Equity 2013 - 15% has dropped to 9.8% in 2017. 
2017/16 PER - 11.59
2017/16 EPS - 11.9

Predicting the next 5 years based on 2017/16, predicted EPS

We know current earnings are down but let's optimistically assume their EPS CAGR as follows
2018/17 - 3%, 2019/18-3%, 2020/19-5%, 2021/20-8%, 2022/21-10% and by 2022 March their EPS would be Rs. 15/75 and Price of a share @ PER OF 11.60 = Rs. 183/- giving an investor a annual CAGR growth of a poor 3%  

Note : Share price could grow much more than predicted above if moves up along with rising NAVPS which had grown by 25% last 4 years

If other members can do their own calculations and share their analysis on this stock which is considered the prime blue chip stock in the CSE, would be invaluable to all of us.

4 Re: The Stock Chat by EquityChamp on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Eugine Fernando

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@DS Wijesinghe wrote:I am a medium to long term investor and before I Buy any stock, even 100 shares I look at the past performance for 5 years. I will wait for their 2017/18 financials to be out to do 5 year analysis but for the moment will do a 4 year analysis from 2013/2012 to 2017/2016. 

If you consider the position of the LUCKIEST JKH INVESTOR who would have BOUGHT @ the LOWEST traded PRICE of Rs. 217/- in Jan-Mar quarter of 2013 and SOLD @ HIGHEST trade PRICE of 165/- in Jan-Mar quarter 2018(I assume 165 would have been the highest)

After you account for all the rights purchased and dividends received(I've not factored Future Present value adjustments), the compounded annual rate of return on the total investment is a disappointing 4%. You can predict the rate of return to be even lower the investor would have earned if he had bought and sold at median prices. 

Turnover6%
Net Profit after tax8%
EPS3%
NAVPS19%
DPS25%

2017/16 PER - 11.59
2017/16 EPS - 11.9

We know current earnings are down but let's optimistically assume their EPS CAGR as follows
2018/17 - 3%, 2019/18-3%, 2020/19-5%, 2021/20-8%, 2022/21-10% and by 2022 March their EPS would be Rs. 15/75 and Price of a share @ PER OF 11.60 = Rs. 183/- giving an investor a annual CAGR growth of a poor 3%  

Note : Share price could grow much more than predicted above if moves up along with rising NAVPS which had grown by 25% last 4 years

If other members can do their own calculations and share their analysis on this stock which is considered the prime blue chip stock in the CSE, would be invaluable to all of us.
I appreciate your workout but if you are going to trade with those calculations, it won`t work in Colombo Stock Market, this market is really manipulated, for a example see what happened to SHL with in a short period it has shoot up from 12/- to 26/- see the price different,  this is not because of your workings method this is 100% manipulated to get their Rights a success. Like this there are many shares eg. East, Jins etc.. my way of trading is only short term, with the market sentiment of the day, for exp. Dist. I bought at 19.20 and sold @ 23.40 with in 3 days. I am not asking every one to follow this, this my only my way of trading....GD

5 Re: The Stock Chat by EquityChamp on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:38 pm

glad

@Eugine Fernando wrote:
@DS Wijesinghe wrote:I am a medium to long term investor and before I Buy any stock, even 100 shares I look at the past performance for 5 years. I will wait for their 2017/18 financials to be out to do 5 year analysis but for the moment will do a 4 year analysis from 2013/2012 to 2017/2016. 

Turnover6%
Net Profit after tax8%
EPS3%
NAVPS19%
DPS25%

2017/16 PER - 11.59
2017/16 EPS - 11.9

I appreciate your workout but if you are going to trade with those calculations, it won`t work in Colombo Stock Market, this market is really manipulated, for a example see what happened to SHL with in a short period it has shoot up from 12/- to 26/- see the price different,  this is not because of your workings method this is 100% manipulated to get their Rights a success. Like this there are many shares eg. East, Jins etc.. my way of trading is only short term, with the market sentiment of the day, for exp. Dist. I bought at 19.20 and sold @ 23.40 with in 3 days. I am not asking every one to follow this, this my only my way of trading....GD
How do you identify the horses?

6 Re: The Stock Chat by EquityChamp on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Eugine Fernando

@glad wrote:
@Eugine Fernando wrote:

Turnover6%
Net Profit after tax8%
EPS3%
NAVPS19%
DPS25%

2017/16 PER - 11.59
2017/16 EPS - 11.9

How do you identify the horses?

For that you have to be with the market, If you are a online trader very simple, with the days market movement you can judge which share is the Next horse,  my today`s horses are LDEV & JINS, this is only my calculation not a promotion please.

7 Re: The Stock Chat by EquityChamp on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:18 pm

DS Wijesinghe

Eugine Fernando, EC's topic is to have a discussion on JKH. The current performance of the company, how the share would perform when the waterfront project is completed and whether there are underlying reasons for continued foreign buying in to JKH when business seems declining, etc. Basically how we see JKH as a company and it's share price would perform in the future 

As declared in my post I'm a medium to long term investor who have made decent satisfactory returns and grown my money over the years at the CSE and therefore I've given my point of view to any medium to long term investor who is contemplating buying JKH at current level and hoping to hold till 2022 to make return better than bank fixed deposit rate. I would love to get some feedback and alternate points of views how the situation would be in 2022 from other fellow medium to long term investing members in this forum. They could see things different to the way I see.

EF, Without distracting, lets's stick to EC's topic. As you have declared to be an expert in short term trading, gaining super profits within a matter of few days, you should share your expert opinions and predictions about JKH  to the benefit of all short term traders, who plan to gain from short term trading of JKH.

8 Re: The Stock Chat by EquityChamp on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:05 pm

EquityChamp

Hi guys, good discussions and various views. This is what we want in a public forum. Don' t forget that a fruitful discussion in a public forum can have a very big impact on the society at large.

@EF,  I do agree with your view to a certain extent as CSE is still relatively small compared to other developed markets and as such there will always chances for manipulation. Other than the SHL example I can state LGL & BFN as well. Are these stocks worth this much. On the other why the prices of stocks such as HNB, COMB, LFIN, ALLI, LWL,  etc stands at these prices. 

@DS, your approach is best suit for equity investments representing one side of the camp, the other was the trading camp . I agree that the JKH has given poor returns within the last 3-4 years largely attributable to changes in macro economic environment. You know what I mean here. On the other hand if we evaluate some other stocks like HNB, SAMP, DIAL, TPL or MAL based on your same criterion then the picture will be completely different. It's us who need to re-evaluate our portfolios consistently and make adjustments that will suit to the different contexts.

9 Re: The Stock Chat by EquityChamp on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:12 am

glad

@EquityChamp wrote:Hi guys, good discussions and various views. This is what we want in a public forum. Don' t forget that a fruitful discussion in a public forum can have a very big impact on the society at large.

@EF,  I do agree with your view to a certain extent as CSE is still relatively small compared to other developed markets and as such there will always chances for manipulation. Other than the SHL example I can state LGL & BFN as well. Are these stocks worth this much. On the other why the prices of stocks such as HNB, COMB, LFIN, ALLI, LWL,  etc stands at these prices. 

@DS, your approach is best suit for equity investments representing one side of the camp, the other was the trading camp . I agree that the JKH has given poor returns within the last 3-4 years largely attributable to changes in macro economic environment. You know what I mean here. On the other hand if we evaluate some other stocks like HNB, SAMP, DIAL, TPL or MAL based on your same criterion then the picture will be completely different. It's us who need to re-evaluate our portfolios consistently and make adjustments that will suit to the different contexts.
Low return in JKH may be like investing in Gilt edged securities, believes that it is safe, reliable, will not go bust but low return. Correct me if I am wrong. I have few shares like that in my PF not going anywhere. How long should I wait. May be it is better to take few high risks and hope for the best or move to FDs?????

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum